With this Necromancer PvP build you feel In Control of the Battlegrounds. You have access to 5 total charges of stuns from two abilities, Bone Wall and Bone Spikes. The 3 charges of Bone Wall with Exhumant's Backbone turn into pillars that spring forth from the ground to toss your enemies into the air. The pillar then remains on the battlefield, slowing the movement of any enemies who dare try to approach. Bone Spikes combined with the effect from No-Mouth Face gives you 2 charges of an instant cast stun to stop those enemies who charge through your bone pillars.
Necromancer PvP Build - In Control
This Necromancer PvP build requires some patience and discipline. It's easy to get excited and blow all of your stun charges in 3 seconds. Position your Bone Pillars well, only using them to stun in emergency situations. Instead use Bone Spikes as the first go to stun.
- Watch the minimap to find where the majority of your enemies are going. Go there and plant 2 of your Bone Wall's Bone Pillars in strategic locations. Always try to keep one charge available for emergency situations.
- Use Bone Armor on cooldown.
- Join in the fight and prioritize using Bone Spikes on the largest group of enemies possible.
- Follow up with Dark Curse and get close enough to start hitting them with Soulfire. Look at the minimap to see where they are moving to next and start at #1 again.
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor (Increased Damage Reduction On Block).
- Topaz is slightly better than Citrine, but All Resistance and Potency are both underwhelming attributes. Prefer Topaz over Citrine since you will be hit by crowd controlling effects more often than you will be using them.
The Necromancer's main attribute is Intelligence, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Intelligence to maximize the damage you deal. Vitality is also important for the boosts to your Life pool.
Necromancer's worst attribute is Strength because it only gives +1 OR/DR. If possible, don't use it.
- Intelligence +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases damage reduced from a Block, which mitigates a base of 20% of incoming damage. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 Combat Rating and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Maybe one day in Diablo Immortal these durations will play a larger role, but currently they don't seem to matter much and are never prioritized.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating but gives nothing more, making it the worst attribute.
Check out our Attributes Mechanics Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Critical Hit Chance to boost what little damage you have with this build.
- Beneficiary Effect Duration to boost uptime of Bone Armor.
- Cooldown Reduction to have constant control of the Battlegrounds.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important. Here are some of the best Family Bonuses available for the Necromancer PvP build:
- Ravager's Family Bonus has a chance to make your enemies corpse explode and deal AoE damage, making it virtually useless in PvP and mediocre at best in PvE. The Family Bonus Attributes on the other hand are great for a Summoner Necromancer, because they have 2 important attribute rolls: Damage done by your summons increased (3.0% - 4.0%) and Damage taken by your summons decreased (3.0% - 4.0%).
We recommend taking this so you're stronger at farming in PvE, but if you really only care about PvP see below.
- Jolt Stone is tremendously strong for PvP! It has a chance to immobilize attackers. Its Family Bonus Attributes are also VERY STRONG. They include Damage taken from players reduced (2.2 - 3.0%), Cheat Death chance increased (3.0% - 4.0%), and Duration of beneficial effects increased (3.0% - 4.0%).
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Focus on Awakening your gear with 1 star Gems at first (Freedom and Devotion, Berserker's Eye, Everlasting Torment etc.). For the Necromancer, we recommend Awakening your items in this order:
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Dominate Battlegrounds and the Rite of Exile with this Necromancer PvP build.
- Control space with Bone Wall's Bone Pillars. Stun large groups of enemies or single enemies by using Bone Spikes. Protect your party with Bone Armor.
- Equip Simulacrator, No-Mouth Face, Exhumant's Backbone, Proximal Fear and the Windloft Perfection set for maximum power.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Ravager Stone or Jolt Stone.
- Seek out Cooldown Reduction and Beneficial Effect Duration Special Attributes with Intelligence and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Awaken gear slots to reduce cooldowns on your Bone Wall and Bone Armor.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Strike fear into the hearts of your enemies!
Written by Gregg2G
Contributions by Facefoot
Reviewed by Lexyu
Updated from Beta recommendations to Release recommendations.