Disintegrate Ice Crystal is a speed build that excels at farming Solo Bounties, Elder Rifts, Lairs, and Side Quests. Maximizing mobility is a priority for this build, which means using Teleport and Lightning Nova with The Siphon. Use these skills to jump between mob packs and traverse areas faster. Disintegrate can be used frequently to kill every group of enemies as long as you aren't draining too much energy. The playstyle of this build is simple and quick, making it the best choice for easy farming activities. Get ready to whip your laser back and forth!
Disintegrate starts to become less effective during more difficult activities, like Dungeons, Raids and Challenge Rifts. Prolonged fights can cause you to drain all your energy, severely reducing your Damage Per Second (DPS). The Firestorm Wizard build deals more damage and is better suited for boss fights.
Solo Build - Disintegrate Ice Crystal
The hybrid setup of 4 pieces of Issatar Imbued combined with 2 pieces of Windloft Perfection provides up to 45% increased movement speed for quick and easy activities.
Grace of the Flagellant works well with the rapid damage ticks from Disintegrate and Ice Crystal. Remains useful even if you only have access to 2 or 4 piece bonuses.
Speed farming builds are made to move fast and destroy groups of enemies quickly. Here are the mechanics to manage:
- Use Teleport to travel in-between packs of enemies.
- Lightning Nova is your shortest cooldown at 6 seconds. Use liberally for both damage and faster movement. Cast while on top of enemies to maximize hits.
- Line up enemies to hit them with Disintegrate. Swipe the beam across each enemy to ignite them. Against a high amount of spread out enemies, channel the beam into Ice Crystal for more coverage. Try not to drain more energy than necessary.
- Magic Missile can be used to finish off stragglers or while Disintegrate energy is depleted.
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor (Increased Damage Reduction On Block).
- Topaz is slightly better than Citrine, but All Resistance and Potency are both underwhelming stats. Prefer Topaz over Citrine since you will be hit by crowd controlling effects more often than you will be using them.
The Wizard's main Primary Attribute is Intelligence, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Intelligence to maximize the damage you deal. Fortitude is also important early on because it gives you Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage), but becomes less important later due to diminishing returns.
The Wizard's worst Primary Attribute is Strength because it only gives +1 Combat Rating. If possible, don't use it.
- Intelligence +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases your chance to Block, which mitigates 20% of incoming damage. This is a nice defensive boost, especially when fighting Dungeon Bosses or large packs of enemies. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 Combat Rating and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Willpower may play a larger role in the future, but currently it is never prioritized.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating. Gives nothing extra and is therefore the worst attribute.
Check out our Stats Mechanic Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Critical Hit Chance to proc Everlasting Torment attack speed effect at Rank 6.
- Critical Hit Damage to increase damage.
- Primary Attack Damage Increase to boost Magic Missile for much needed single target damage.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important. Here are some of the best Family Bonuses available for the Wizard:
- Wildfire Stone rolls Critical Hit Chance, which is one of the strongest offensive attributes in the game. The Hydra isn't all that useful, though, unless you desperately need something to soak damage.
- Vengeance Stone is a great option for the extra single target damage. Focus on the Attack Speed rolls here for even more overall DPS and Vengeance Stone procs.
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Dominate Bounties, Elder Rifts, Lairs and Side Quests with this Disintegrate Ice Crystal Wizard build.
- Traverse quickly with Teleport and Lightning Nova with The Siphon.
- Disintegrate is the main damage dealer. Ice Crystal can be used to increase the beam's coverage.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Wildfire Stone Family Bonus.
- Seek out Critical Hit Chance and Damage Special Attributes with Intelligence and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Play aggressively in melee range to decimate everything quickly. Leave no survivors!
Written by Lexyu
Reviewed by Facefoot