Blow'em Up is a Exploding Palm Monk Build that excels at farming Solo Bounties, Elder Rifts, Lairs, and Tasks. This setup achieves a balance between going fast and dealing plenty of damage. Seven-Sided Strike will deal plenty of single target damage while Exploding Palm blows up any large packs with ease. Little to no changes are required to take this build across all solo content, lets get into how you can set it up.
Solo Build - Blow'em Up!
Use the 4 piece bonus from Issatar Imbued as well as the 2 piece from Windloft Perfection. This gives you tremendous movement speed helping you make the most of your playtime.
In the Open World, Bounties and Elder Rifts, the Exploding Palm Monk gameplay is straight forward. Two of your skills help you stay mobile while the other three work together to group up enemies and deal damage. Here's the rotation:
- Use Mystic Strike for extra mobility to explore and engage lots of enemies. Always keep at least one charge ready so that you can get out of danger or dodge incoming attacks.
- Drag enemies along to make a larger pull and use Cyclone Strike to pull them together.
- Once you are ready to fight, apply Exploding Palm once or twice to the weaker enemies in the pull.
- Pop the Palms with Seven-Sided Strike. If necessary, keep punching and reapply Exploding Palm for more booms.
- Either finish off whatever is left with a similar rotation or move on to the next spot. On high HP targets like elites and bosses, use Fists of Thunder as much as possible while waiting for cooldowns.
To complete Elder Rifts in a timely and efficient manner, you want to group up large packs of enemies and nuke them down together. It's important (especially while pushing to your limit) to find the right balance and not bite off more than you can chew. In general, rush past a few enemies to make them follow you, stay out of melee range while grouping them up, then unleash your combos, rinse and repeat.
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor.
- Citrine is equal to Topaz, since both Potency and All Resistance are underwhelming stats. Simply use the highest leveled Yellow Gems you've obtained.
The Monk's main Primary Attribute is Strength, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Strength to maximize the damage you deal. Fortitude is also important early on because it gives you Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage), but becomes less important later due to diminishing returns.
The Monk's worst Primary Attribute is Intelligence because it only gives +1 Combat Rating. If possible, don't use it.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases your chance to Block, which mitigates 20% of incoming damage. This is a nice defensive boost, especially when pushing Challenge Rifts or Helliquary bosses. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 Combat Rating and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Willpower may play a larger role in the future, but currently it is never prioritized.
- Intelligence +1 Combat Rating. Gives nothing extra and is therefore the worst attribute.
Check out our Stats Mechanic Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Critical Hit Chance to proc Everlasting Torment attack speed effect at Rank 6.
- Critical Hit Damage to increase damage.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important. Here are some of the best Family Bonuses available for the Exploding Palm Monk:
- Wildfire Stone rolls Critical Hit Damage, which is one of the strongest offensive attributes in the game. The Hydra isn't all that useful, though, unless you desperately need something to soak damage.
- Vengeance Stone is a great option for the extra single target damage. Focus on the Attack Speed rolls here for even more overall DPS and Vengeance Stone procs.
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Focus on Awakening your gear with 1 star Gems at first (Trickshot Gem, Berserker's Eye, Everlasting Torment etc.). All item slots provide great benefits for an Exploding Palm Monk, we recommend Awakening your items in this order:
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Dominate Bounties, Elder Rifts, Lairs and Tasks with this build.
- Group up enemies with Cyclone Strike then Blow'em Up with Seven-Sided Strike and Exploding Palm. Use Mystic Strike and Fists of Thunder for mobility to plow through content fast
- Equip Dragon's Indignation, Discipline's Weight, Breath of Incense, Inner Rhythm, Eye of the Storm, Crippling Insight and Issatar Imbuedfor maximum power.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Wildfire Stone Family Bonus.
- Seek out Critical Hit Chance and Damage Special Attributes with Strength and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Awaken gear slots to boost your Seven-Sided Strike and Exploding Palm to another level.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Smash them with the power of One-Thousand-And-One Gods.
Written by Facefoot, wudijo
Reviewed by Raxxanterax, Rob