The Claw Machine Flying Dragon Monk Monk PvP Build destroys enemies in game modes like Battlegrounds and the Rite of Exile. Due to the nature of PvP there are certainly multiple builds that can thrive and be successful. In general, it's always useful to have a lot of mobility, crowd control and the ability to do quick bursts or react to incoming attacks with defensive tools. Below we show you how to maximize your contribution to the team.
Monk PvP Build - Claw Machine
Use 6 PIeces of the Feasting Baron's Pack to enhance your crowd control help finish off enemies with it's powerful 6 piece bonus. If all the stunning you do wasn't enough this proc seals the fate of nearly any enemy.
The Flying Dragon Monk has tons of mobility and can deal significant damage while enemies are pinned down. You have 2 charges of Imprisoned Fist and Wave Strike. Alternating these 2 skills while fighting allows you to immobilize enemies beyond their wildest dreams and completely control the fight.
- Fists of Thunderis your entry into battle, use it to jump on to an enemy before using Flying Dragon to take them back to your allies. Keep in mind you can only target the same enemy every several seconds but you CAN jump from one enemy to another instantly. This can be nice to jump deeper into a teams territory and potentially bring back multiple enemies.
- Quickly follow up with Imprisoned Fist to knock up and stun the target(s).
- Once stunned drop Inner Sanctuary so they can't escape without getting stunned by it's rim.
- Hit them with Wave Strike and follow up with another hit from Imprisoned Fist to keep them stunned. After Inner Sanctuary you may need to use Imprisoned Fist again before Wave Strike to keep them stunned. If so no problem just follow up with the double Wave Strike after.
- From here all of your skills should be on cooldown with Flying Dragon returning in a few seconds.Keep pounding them with Fists of Thunder and then use Flying Dragon to take them even further into your teams territory when it comes up.
- Rinse and repeat when your cooldowns are ready
This build is insanely fun to play and can be very useful to a team especially on defense in the battlegrounds. The ability to take enemies and hand deliver them to your team is unmatched. Following it up with and endless barrage of punches and stuns is very satisfying as you watch your team dive in on your latest catch.
Check out our Dungeons guide for more information.
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor.
- Citrine is equal to Topaz, since both Potency and All Resistance are underwhelming stats. Simply use the highest leveled Yellow Gems you've obtained.
The Flying Dragon Monk's main Primary Attribute is Strength, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Strength to maximize the damage you deal. Fortitude is also important early on because it gives you Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage), but becomes less important later due to diminishing returns.
The Monk's worst Primary Attribute is Intelligence because it only gives +1 Combat Rating. If possible, don't use it.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases your chance to Block, which mitigates 20% of incoming damage. This is a nice defensive boost, especially when pushing Challenge Rifts or Helliquary bosses. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 Combat Rating and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Willpower may play a larger role in the future, but currently it is never prioritized.
- Intelligence +1 Combat Rating. Gives nothing extra and is therefore the worst attribute.
Check out our Stats Mechanic Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Increased Damage to Players to increase damage.
- Critical Hit Chance to proc Everlasting Torment attack speed effect at Rank 6.
- Critical Hit Damage to increase damage.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important. Here are some of the best Family Bonuses available for the Flying Dragon Monk Build:
- Wildfire Stone rolls Critical Hit Damage, which is one of the strongest offensive attributes in the game. The Hydra isn't all that useful, though, unless you desperately need something to soak damage.
- Vengeance Stone is a great option for the extra single target damage. Focus on the Attack Speed rolls here for even more overall DPS and Vengeance Stone procs.
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Focus on Awakening your gear with 1 star Gems at first (Trickshot Gem, Berserker's Eye, Everlasting Torment etc.). All item slots provide great benefits for a Monk, we recommend Awakening your items in this order:
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Dominate Battlegrounds and the Rite of Exile with this Flying Dragon Monk PvP build.
- Dive into battle with Fists of Thunder then scoop them up and take them back to your team with Flying Dragon. Pin everyone down with Imprisoned Fist, place Inner Sanctuary then unleash Wave Strike. Rinse and repeat while fitting extra damage with Fists of Thunder
- Equip Unshakable Weight, Roar of the Eea, Freedom's Gale, Isolation's Path, Tranqulity's Gaze and Peace of the Present for maximum power.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Wildfire Stone Family Bonus.
- Seek out Critical Hit Chance and Damage Special Attributes with Strength and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Awaken gear slots to boost your Imprisoned Fist and Exploding Palm to another level.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Be that Monk everyone fears, don't go easy on them!
Written by Facefoot