The Spirit Ninja Monk PvP Build destroys enemies in PvP game modes like Battlegrounds and the Rite of Exile. Due to the nature of PvP there are certainly multiple builds that can thrive and be successful. In general, it's always useful to have a lot of mobility, crowd control and the ability to do quick bursts or react to incoming attacks with defensive tools. Below we show you how to maximize your contribution to the team.
Monk PvP Build - Spirit Ninja
Use 4 PIeces of the Feasting Baron's Pack to enhance your crowd control and 2 pieces of Vithu's Urges to increase the duration of buffs.
This build has tons of mobility and can deal significant damage while enemies are pinned down. You have 2 charges to work with on Imprisoned Fist as well as Exploding Palm, which will both send you flying through the air to your targets. Using these well and timing your di-skill id=shieldofzen]Shield of Zen[/di-skill] effectively can lead to some punishing gameplay that your foes will have nightmares about. Lets see how you can make this happen:
- Exploding Palm is your entry into battle, whether it be a single enemy or a group. Fly in there and get that palm applied to your target.
- Quickly follow up with Imprisoned Fist to knock up and stun the target.
- Once stunned you can throw in Fists of Thunder for a few seconds before blasting them with Seven-Sided Strike.
- If you didn't use this yes now is a great time to give yourself a shield, movement speed and crowd control immunity with Shield of Zen. These buffs allow you finish off whoever your fighting or aid in a possible retreat.
- Keep in mind you should also have another charge of Exploding Palm still. This can also be used as a last offense or escape plan depending on how the fight is going.
This build performs well in 1v1 and group fight scenarios. Timing your assault and getting into a rhythm with your stun and shield is key to being effective with this build. Play around with some of the other supporting items for these skills to see how you can best support your team in these fierce battles.
Check out our Dungeons guide for more information.
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor.
- Citrine is equal to Topaz, since both Potency and All Resistance are underwhelming stats. Simply use the highest leveled Yellow Gems you've obtained.
The Monk's main Primary Attribute is Strength, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Strength to maximize the damage you deal. Fortitude is also important early on because it gives you Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage), but becomes less important later due to diminishing returns.
The Monk's worst Primary Attribute is Intelligence because it only gives +1 Combat Rating. If possible, don't use it.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases your chance to Block, which mitigates 20% of incoming damage. This is a nice defensive boost, especially when pushing Challenge Rifts or Helliquary bosses. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 Combat Rating and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Willpower may play a larger role in the future, but currently it is never prioritized.
- Intelligence +1 Combat Rating. Gives nothing extra and is therefore the worst attribute.
Check out our Stats Mechanic Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Increased Damage to Players to increase damage.
- Critical Hit Chance to proc Everlasting Torment attack speed effect at Rank 6.
- Critical Hit Damage to increase damage.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important. Here are some of the best Family Bonuses available for the Monk PvP Build:
- Wildfire Stone rolls Critical Hit Damage, which is one of the strongest offensive attributes in the game. The Hydra isn't all that useful, though, unless you desperately need something to soak damage.
- Vengeance Stone is a great option for the extra single target damage. Focus on the Attack Speed rolls here for even more overall DPS and Vengeance Stone procs.
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Focus on Awakening your gear with 1 star Gems at first (Trickshot Gem, Berserker's Eye, Everlasting Torment etc.). All item slots provide great benefits for a Monk, we recommend Awakening your items in this order:
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Dominate Battlegrounds and the Rite of Exile with this Barbarian PvP build.
- Dive into battle with Exploding Palm then pin everyone down with Imprisoned Fist. Punch a few times with Fists of Thunder before unleashing Seven-Sided Strike. Use Shield of Zen after to gain a shield while you finish them off or to help you escape to somewhere safe.
- Equip Reaching Rebuke, Spirit's Reach, Freedom's Gale, Isolation's Path, Crippling Insight and Enlightenment's Blessing for maximum power.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Wildfire Stone Family Bonus.
- Seek out Critical Hit Chance and Damage Special Attributes with Strength and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Awaken gear slots to boost your Imprisoned Fist and Exploding Palm to another level.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Be that Monk everyone fears, don't go easy on them!
Written by Facefoot, wudijo
Contributions by MisterK
Reviewed by Raxxanterax, Rob