The Tempest Monk raid build that excels in Helliquary and Kion's Ordeal raids. These activities require you to fight difficult bosses that often demand special considerations. These bosses tend to hit extremely hard and test your ability to survive as you chip away at them. With this in mind you'll rely on big DPS cooldowns while dodging attacks. Mystic Allies, Seven-Sided Strike and Cyclone Strike deal the majority of the damage with this build while Mystic Strike allows you to evade dangerous threats. Lets see how you can set up for some punishing damage with this build.
Monk Raid Build - Tempest
Wear 6 pieces of Grace of the Flagellant since this build is entirely focused on doing DPS.
Unless you completely outgear the bosses already, you will struggle to survive while trying to optimize your DPS. As a general rule you should avoid taking unnecessary damage as much as possible, which is usually rather easy to do if you rely on kiting, dodging and using mostly your long cooldown abilities to deal damage.
- Use Inner Sanctuary before cycling through the rest of your DPS skills. This increases the damage of all party members as well as your Mystic Allies.
- Seven-Sided Strike and Cyclone Strike should always be used together to get the Firestorm proc from burning enemies. You should be able to do this combo 2-3 times between Inner Sanctuary cooldowns.
- Summon your Mystic Allies, if possible when there's only your main target present. They have a short duration, so clean up before if you can.
- Make sure you don't run out of health (potions). If you get into big trouble, focus on dodging entirely and only deal damage with your long cooldowns.
- Whenever you have time to spare, use Fists of Thunder while waiting for cooldowns. Activate the ultimate when there are a lot of adds or you need the shield.
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor.
- Citrine is equal to Topaz, since both Potency and All Resistance are underwhelming stats. Simply use the highest leveled Yellow Gems you've obtained.
The Monk's main Primary Attribute is Strength, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Strength to maximize the damage you deal. Fortitude is also important early on because it gives you Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage), but becomes less important later due to diminishing returns.
The Monk's worst Primary Attribute is Intelligence because it only gives +1 Combat Rating. If possible, don't use it.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases your chance to Block, which mitigates 20% of incoming damage. This is a nice defensive boost, especially when pushing Challenge Rifts or Helliquary bosses. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 Combat Rating and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 Combat Rating, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Willpower may play a larger role in the future, but currently it is never prioritized.
- Intelligence +1 Combat Rating. Gives nothing extra and is therefore the worst attribute.
Check out our Stats Mechanic Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Critical Hit Chance to proc Everlasting Torment attack speed effect at Rank 6.
- Critical Hit Damage to increase damage.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important. Here are some of the best Family Bonuses available for the Monk Raid Build:
- Wildfire Stone rolls Critical Hit Damage, which is one of the strongest offensive attributes in the game. The Hydra isn't all that useful, though, unless you desperately need something to soak damage.
- Vengeance Stone is a great option for the extra single target damage. Focus on the Attack Speed rolls here for even more overall DPS and Vengeance Stone procs.
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Focus on Awakening your gear with 1 star Gems at first (Trickshot Gem, Berserker's Eye, Everlasting Torment etc.). All item slots provide great benefits for a Monk, we recommend Awakening your items in this order:
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Crush raids including Helliquary Bosses and Kion's Ordeal with this Monk raid build.
- Slay enemies with Cyclone Strike, Seven-Sided Strike and Mystic Allies. Use Mystic Strike and Fists of Thunder for mobility.
- Equip Companion's Melody, Empathy's Blessing, Respite's Sigh, Dragon's Indignation, The First Wind, Storm Spirit and Grace of the Flagellant for maximum power.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Wildfire Stone Family Bonus.
- Seek out Critical Hit Chance and Damage Special Attributes with Strength and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Awaken gear slots to boost your Mystic Allies, Seven-Sided Strike and Cyclone Strike to another level.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Dominate those Raid bosses and claim their tasty loot!
Written by Facefoot, wudijo
Reviewed by Raxxanterax, Rob
- Removed Mystic Strike and added Inner Sanctuary with Empathy's Blessing and Respite's Sigh - Added Bottled Hope and Fervant Fang to BIS gems list, removed Frozen Heart and Howler's Call - Re-prioritized awakening to put shoulders first, this allows Seven-sided strike and cyclone strike to have the same cooldown of 12 seconds making it easier to line them up every time.