The Whirlwind Headbang Barbarian is build that destroys enemies in PvP game modes like Battlegrounds, Vault, Ancient Arena and Rite of Exile. Sprint gives you crowd control immunity while Whirlwind constantly interrupt enemies using The Gathering. Furious Charge keeps you mobile while also dealing some of the highest damage in the game. If all this wasn't enough Undying Rage makes you nearly unkillable, allowing you to avoid death, retreat and prepare for your next assault. Let's get into it and learn how to setup the Headbang Whirlwind Barbarian PvP Build!
Class PvP Build - Build Name
Grace of the Flagellant is the best PvP Set for Barbarians by far! Since we use Whirlwind as our main skill, we constantly deal damage and always get the damage buff!
Charm Priority: 1. Whirlwind 2. Furious Charge 3. Undying Rage 4. Sprint 5. Frenzy
The general process here is very simple and extremely fun to play around with. You'll truly never have a dull moment and are a constant threat in PvP. You'll be tempted to push into battle non-stop as your thirst for blood can't possibly be quenched, but try to contain yourself and leave the battle when the time is right. You can be back in a few seconds as strong as you were at the start!
- Cast Sprint before you dive into battle. This makes you faster while you're casting Whirlwind, very hard to hit and immune to seemingly all Crowd Control in the game.
- Now you charge in with Furious Charge, this knocks them up for a second giving you time to do some more damage.
- Use Frenzy or Whirlwind to do heavy damage depending on if you're fighting 1 or multiple enemies.
If the fight is fierce, Undying Rage will activate, giving you a limited amount of time to finish the job or get out of there alive. Either way keep on swinging and giving them hell until your last moments. You may be able to leech back most of your life and feel more confident finishing up a fight. If things are going poorly during your last stand use your final Furious Charge to attempt to escape back behind friendly lines. Once you use a Bandage and get your bearings straight, you'll have all your cooldowns back and can go right back to giving them hell!
Legendary and Normal Gems
Legendary Gems provide incredible attribute bonuses and unique effects. They are found as a reward after completing an Elder Rift that is enhanced with a Legendary Crest. Many of them are also crafted using Runes and Platinum at the Jeweler in Westmarch.
Read our Legendary Gems Guide for more information.
- Tourmaline is better than Ruby, since Damage is better than Life.
- Sapphire is better than Aquamarine, since Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Damage) is better than Armor.
- Citrine is equal to Topaz, since both Potency and All Resistance are underwhelming stats. Simply use the highest leveled Yellow Gems you've obtained.
The Barbarian's main Primary Attribute is Strength, giving +0.3 Damage per point. All other things equal, use gear with Strength to maximize the damage you deal. Fortitude is also important early on because it gives you Armor Penetration (Critical Hit Daamge), but becomes less important later due to diminishing returns.
The Barbarian's worst Primary Attribute is Intelligence because it only gives +1 Combat Rating. If possible, don't use it.
- Strength +1 Combat Rating and +0.3 Damage.
- Fortitude +1 ORDR, +0.1 Armor, and +0.1 Armor Penetration. Armor increases your chance to Block, which mitigates 20% of incoming damage. This is a nice defensive boost, especially when pushing Challenge Rifts or Helliquary bosses. Armor Penetration gives Critical Hit Damage, which is nice if you already have a high Critical Hit Chance.
- Vitality +1 ORDR and +3 Life. It never hurts to have more life, especially for end game pushes and PvP. Vitality is the best attribute after the damage-dealing ones.
- Willpower +1 ORDR, +0.1 Potency, and +0.1 Resistance. Potency increases the duration of harmful effects on enemies, while Resistance lowers the duration of harmful effects on you from enemies. Willpower may play a larger role in the future, but currently it is never prioritized.
- Intelligence +1 ORDR. Gives nothing extra and is therefore the worst attribute.
Check out our Stats Mechanic Guide for more information.
Because the total amount of primary attributes is so important, you rarely prioritize special attributes on gear. Still, several special attributes can make a difference, here are some of the best ones you can find:
- Critical Hit Chance to proc Everlasting Torment attack speed effect at Rank 6.
- Beneficiary Effect Duration to boost uptime of Sprint and Wrath of the Berserker.
- Critical Hit Damage to increase damage.
Bonus Attributes, Family Bonus, and Reforging
Family bonuses are hard to change so picking a powerful option is important:
- The Barrier Stone Family Bonus is the strongest for PvP bonus, however it is not that easy to change frequently. Focus on Maximum Life.
- The Vengeance Stone Family Bonus is a great option for the extra single target damage. Focus on the Increased Damage against Player rolls here for even more overall DPS.
For more details, see our Upgrading and Reforging Guide.
Focus on Awakening your gear with 1 star Gems at first (Trickshot Gem, Berserker's Eye, Everlasting Torment etc.). Most item slots provide great benefits for a Barbarian, with the exception of the Off-Hand. We recommend Awakening your items in this order:
Check out our Awakening Guide for more information.
Check out our Paragon Guide for more information.
Hungry for more Guides?
- Dominate Battlegrounds and the Rite of Exile with this Barbarian PvP build.
- Engage your enemies with Furious Charge and Sprint, tank them with Undying Rage, damage and control them with Whirlwind.
- Equip The Gathering, Screaming Fury, Second Breath, Eager Maelstrom and the Grace of the Flagellant for maximum power.
- Rank up Normal and Legendary Gems for huge bonuses while hunting for a Barrier Stone Family Bonus.
- Seek out Critical Hit Chance and Damage Special Attributes with Strength and Fortitude Primary Attributes.
- Awaken gear slots to boost your Sprint and Whirlwind to another level.
- Accumulate Paragon and invest in all the Damage nodes you can find while picking up key active nodes.
- Decimate everyone, leave no survivors!
Written by Rob
Contributions by Facefoot
Reviewed by Facefoot, Raxxanterax
Adjusted Legendary Gem Section