Player vs Player (PvP) plays a key role for endgame content and it's important to understand good strategy before you dive in headfirst. You can fight in teams up to 4 against each other for epic loot in the Ancient Area or participate with up to 16 players in the Battlegrounds! The Rite of Exile in another PvP event with 10 simultaneous 8 vs 8 battles between the Shadows and the Immortals. In this post we cover how to fight other players and give a brief first look into the mechanics and strategy involved.
- Player vs Player combat is only possible in certain areas like Ancient Arena, Battlegrounds, and during the Rite of Exile. You can't go hostile and kill other players in the open world.
- You can use the same gear and skills during PvP as in the open world.
- You can use the same group invite feature as in the open world to team up during PvP events.
- You only benefit from your party member's buffs as long as they are in the same 4-player group.
- You won't have access to health potions in PvP, but instead can use bandages ONLY while not in combat.
- Balanced 1v1 fights with equal gear and Paragon level typically take around 10 - 30 seconds.
- Immortal Crown and class consumable buffs can be used.
- PvP participation can yield epics rewards such as Legendary Items, Glowing Shard, Gold, Aspirant's Key, Hilts, and Reforge Stones.
- Your Combat Rating is scaled down to 10% of their original value.
- Your Block Chance is reduced to 20%.
- Your Critical Hit Chance is a flat 10% against players.
- Harmful effect durations, like freeze and stun, are reduced by 50% on players.
- Players with high Combat Rating can kill opponents with far less Combat Rating quickly.
Check our in-depth post about all in-game mechanics here.
Player vs Player Strategies
Switch your equipment and skills specifically for PvP events.It's wise to group up early on with other high Paragon players so you can establish dominance and put fear into your opponents as they show up.
For the Ancient Arena it is always best to team up early on rather than be alone. If you are farming alone prior to the event show up early and party with whoever is there.
In the Battlegrounds, it is best to focus on the objectives instead of just killing other players. There is a matchmaking and ranking system in place with epic rewards at the end of each cycle.
During the Rite of Exile you want to select teams to fight against that you can beat and agree on a strategy to set your Faction up for victory! Organization and strategizing within your Faction plays a vital part in your success.
We will significantly expand this section and list dedicated strategies for each of these PvP modes once we have more information and experience!
Player vs Player Tips & Tricks
- Play in groups - In groups you can use buffs to maximize damage output, kill enemies faster, die less, and split push effectively.
- Fight from bottom to the top - Always try to position yourself around the 6 o'clock position of your enemy. With the game's birds eye perspective, you will gain a vision and range advantage over your enemies!
- Play at least one movement speed skill - You should pick at least one movement speed ability like Furious Charge, Mystic Strike, or Draw and Quarter to engage and chase enemies, get out of dangerous situations, or dodge incoming attacks.
- Join voice with your group - Communicate, sync your attacks, and focus on objectives or specific enemies together.
- Follow our PvP build guides - We have a PvP focused variants in all of our Class Guides that you can use.
- Understand your role in the battle - Know the strengths and weaknesses of your class/build and what those mean for your role.
- Be aware of your opponent's abilities and cooldowns - Before the battle even starts, familiarize yourself with the enemy team roster, their classes, paragon and skill level.
- Use the minimap - Observe team member's and enemies' positions and your objective on the minimap. You can also use certain map features like choke points or healing wells to your advantage!
- Focus on your objectives - Open the Nephalem Cache, kill enemies, push or defend the Idol Statues, destroy or defend the Ancient Heart.
- Player vs Player combat is only possible in certain areas.
- Your stats are significantly reduced during PvP combat.
- Group up with your friends for PvP or you will lose!
- Be aware of your individual character role and the strengths and weaknesses of your chosen class.
- Have fun and enjoy!
Written by Rob
Reviewed by Echohack, Facefoot
Updated for Launch